The New Amex Marriott Bonvoy Cards + Increased Welcome Bonus
February 28th, 2019
I feel like we’ve been down this road once before. Ah yes, the discontinuation and ultimate closure of the Chase Marriott Visa from the Canadian Market on March 15th 2018. Has it already been almost a year?
A few weeks ago marked the official launch (I feel like we’ve had a handful of “official launches”) of the new program name, and what was once Marriott is now, wait for it, Marriott Bonvoy. Yup… Bonvoy.
Anyway, with the new name came new products to replace the legacy Amex SPG cards, and those products are the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Card and American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Card.
To be quite honest, I much prefer this new look to the old maroon-ish colour of the SPG cards – in a way it’s kind of resembles the old Marriott Card. It’s clean and sophisticated and I like the slate colour scheme. What are your thoughts?
Fortunately, alongside the makeover came a new welcome bonus offer as well.
For the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card and Bonvoy Business Card, they’ll both feature a Welcome Bonus of 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points within the first 3 months as well as the same annual fee of $120 and $150 respectively.
To sweeten the pot even further, Great Canadian Rebates is also offering a limited-time cash-back offer on both cards. These offers expire March 27th
- For the Personal Bonvoy card you will receive $50 rebate; effective AF $70
- For the Business Bonvoy card you will receive a $60 rebate; effective AF $90
The referral bonus on these cards remains at 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy points but the person being referred will receive 61,000 Marriott Bonvoy points instead of 60,000 (random I know) after spending $3,000 within 3 months (instead of $1,500)
Features and Benefits
- Personal Bonvoy card earns 5 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar at Marriott properties and 2 Marriott Bonvoy points for everything else.
- Business Bonvoy card earns 5 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar at Marriott properties, 3 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on gas, travel and dining and 2 points on everything else.
- You’ll also earn 15 qualifying nights each year but unfortunately this does not stack if you hold both cards. These 15 nights get you instant Silver Elite Status.
- Earn a Free Night Certificate on your Anniversary each year – worth up to 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
- Spend $30,000 on your card within the year and receive Gold Elite Status.
- 5 nights at a Category 2 hotel
- 2 nights at a Category 3-4 hotel
- 1 night at a Category 5-7 hotel
- 15,000 Marriott Bonvoy points will get you 5,000 airline miles
- 30,000 Marriott Bonvoy points will get you 10,000 airline miles
- 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points will get you 20,000 miles + 5,000 bonus for a total of 25,000 airline miles
The introduction of the new Amex Marriott Bonvoy cards in my mind has come with great acceptance, especially with the increased welcome bonus. That’s not to say that we haven’t be “Bonvoyed” around since the merger but nevertheless, that comes with the Miles and Points territory.
If you haven’t already applied for the new Bonvoy cards, I’ll leave a few links below. If you do have one or the other, using your own referral link will net you an additional 10,000 points with a spend of $3,000 or you can apply via GCR below for cash rebates.
Oh and another thing worth mentioning, if you recently applied for the old 50,000 offer on the Amex SPG Card, it never hurts to ask for a goodwill top up to the new offer. They’ve done this in the past when they increased a welcome bonus offer from 20,000 starpoints to 25,000. If you do want to go that route, I’ll leave that decision up to you…
Applying via Great Canadian Rebates and snagging the cash rebate is a great way to reduce your overall annual fee.
- Amex Marriott Bonvoy Signup; 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points after $1,500
- Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business Card Signup 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points after $1,500
If you wish to use my referral below, as always that would be greatly appreciated. Do keep in mind that when applying via a referral, your minimum spend increases from $1,500 to $3,000 with the added bonus of 1,000 paltry Marriott Bonvoy points 😉 This has been referred to as a “Refer thy Enemy” in the Miles and Points landscape lol
What are your overall impressions of the new Marriott Bonvoy cards? Let me know in the comment section below!